Macy Merchant shows off speed, arm during weekend homestand

Senior Macy Merchant turned out to be a deadly asset as a leadoff hitter this weekend.

Beating out throws on both quick slap bunts and stolen bases, she is a menace on the bases.

She has 13 stolen bases in 16 attempts, putting her far ahead of the rest of her teammates. Merchant stole three bases this weekend in games against Buffalo and Kent State, showcasing her speed and ability to get into scoring position when called upon.

"Coach trusts me with my speed, so I just go for it," Merchant said. "When she gives me that sign, I don't think twice; I know I'm going to get there."

In the first game against Buffalo on Friday, Merchant also showed off her throwing arm, gunning a runner at home from center field to keep the Bulls from scoring.

"I was excited to have that opportunity, because I don't get to do that often," Merchant said. "I had shoulder surgery two years ago, so it was really cool, and my teammates were excited for me, which just made it that much better."

Merchant had five hits, tying a program record, in a tough loss against Kent State on Sunday, three coming from slap bunts in which she was able to barely beat out throws from catcher Erika Warren. Warren had all but shut down stealing attempts with her strong arm.

Merchant said head coach Margo Jonker has given her the responsibility to decide when she goes for the bunt. Merchant makes the decision on the fly based on what she sees out of the opponent's infielders.

"I just like to read the defense," Merchant said. "If they're sitting back on their heels and I think that I can put a bunt down and beat it out, then I will. I like to slap bunt when they aren't expecting it, so that they'll never know what I'm going to do."

In addition to her bunting, Merchant has shown her power at the plate with a .413 batting average and two triples on the season. As a leadoff hitter, she is especially dangerous with a .435 on-base percentage and a team-high 20 runs.

"I just feed off of my teammates," Merchant said. "I love this team, and I want to do well for them because we work so hard"