Megan Heffner, women's track excited to stay home

The women’s track and field team is looking to gain momentum leading into this weekend's home meet.

The team will finally be returning back to Mount Pleasant to compete in the Lyle Bennett Open on Saturday. After traveling and having the team being split up in various locations nationwide, CMU will be pleased to get back on home turf.

Among those competing in this weekend will be junior Megan Heffner.  The hurdler/jumper has been preparing all week for this meet, and practice and preparation are important for any meet to build confidence going into her events.

“I’ve been doing my normal practices this week, and I’ve had a great sense of confidence during my training this week,” said Heffner.

She has also felt that, with this being a home meet, she and her teammates will have some advantages and momentum. The team will not have to endure any traveling; as it has all season long.

“Sitting on a bus for hours on end is tough when you travel all time," Heffner said. "But, when you’re home, there’s a big support system; all of your teammates are there, as well as your friends and family. It’s definitely a good environment to be in."

Heffner is looking to improve upon her marks that she has already accomplished so far. Although she has not necessarily competed in that many meets this season, she only sees room for improvement. A bettering of her personal record, as well as a possible chance to compete in the Mid-American Conference championships, though lofty goals, are very doable in Heffner’s opinion.

“I’m looking to improve some of my marks,” Heffner said. “I’d like to get close to my PR and I’d like to qualify for the MAC Championships.”

The Chippewas will hope that the momentum from the hometown crowd  motivates them to some high marks. Producing more conference championship qualifiers would also help the cause as the season begins to wind down.