Softball wins seventh-straight game with 3-0 win against Toledo

Softball continued its seven-game winning streak Saturday after defeating Toledo 3-0 at Margo Jonker Stadium

While not the flashiest of victories, CMU consistently put runners on base that allowed for runs on sacrifice hits. The depth in the lineup has proved to be a major asset during the team's 9-1 record in the last 10 games.

"It wasn't the best game we've played, but we did enough to win the game," said head coach Margo Jonker. "We need to be a little bit better at moving runners tomorrow."

The Chippewas were in command of the game thanks to another strong performance from senior pitcher Kara Dornbos. Dornbos pitched her 14th complete game and earned her tenth win of the season by shutting out the Rockets.

"She did a nice job," Jonker said. "She was mixing pitches and her off-speed pitches seemed to throw them off, so we'll go with the same kind of pitching philosophy tomorrow."

Central Michigan took the lead in the bottom of the second after  junior Britteny Horan reached first on a fielders choice and continued to advance to second after an overthrown ball to first base. Senior Brogan Darwin reached first on another error from, allowing Horan to score.

Sophomore CarolAnn Sexauer walked to start the fourth inning, and junior pinch runner Lauren Bowman replaced her on first. Bowman advanced to second on another fielder's choice when Horan stepped to the plate again and hit a long double to left to send Bowman home.

Horan went 2-for-3 on the day with one RBI. Horan is just one player on a hot streak lately; In the last ten games, Horan has the second highest batting average at .333 and is tied for second in hits.

"I was seeing the ball really well today and kept my weight back which let me drive some balls," Horan said.

The final run came in the bottom of the fifth. Senior Macy Merchant laid down a well placed bunt and was moved to third by balls put in play by her teammates, lining her up to score on a Sexauer double.

Toledo could not respond, putting up a meager three hits. The shut out came from a good defensive showing, something the Chippewas have been struggling with lately.

"Defensively we shut them down, and offensively we got the runs we needed to win," Horan said.

Softball will try to replicate their success at 1 p.m. Sunday against Toledo at Margo Jonker Stadium.