Alumnae run Coldwater consulting firm

a5-alumbiz

Central Michigan University aluma Hillary Eley said her relationship with fellow alumnae Courtney Dirschell and Lori Gunthorp is like an automobile mechanic shop.

“It’s like we share a garage, and we each have our own specialty tools,” Eley said. “People might come in and get a full service, or they might have only specific needs.”

Eley, Dirschell and Gunthorp are the co-creators of 2nd Story Marketing, a full-service marketing consultant and event-planning agency designed to help small businesses in Coldwater.

"So many small businesses can't afford a full-time marketing/PR employee, but they can afford a consultant," Dirschell said.

Eley said, while on vacation, she and her husband started discussing their dream jobs.

“I told him I wanted to own my own business that would help small businesses market effectively on a proactive level,” she said. “He dared me to do it. He said, ‘I’ll give you a year to make it happen’, so I did.”

Eley graduated from CMU in 1994 with a degree in marketing, and, right after graduating, she moved to Charlotte, N.C. to work at an advertising agency. She eventually moved back to Michigan and worked at the Chamber of Commerce in Coldwater for 13 years.

“(My previous jobs) were a great learning environment and networking opportunity. I met so many people who knew what I was good at and who helped me gain more clients,” Eley said. “But, it wasn’t my dream job.”

Gunthorp, who graduated from CMU in 2011, said her first job after college couldn’t have been a more amazing experience for her.

She started at Tibbits Opera House in Coldwater as the special events and marketing coordinator, where she was responsible for executing events and receptions, implementing marketing strategies and managing a database of more than 3,000 members and volunteers.

“Because there was no room for growth in the organization, I jumped at the opportunity to work alongside the ladies of 2nd Story Marketing,” Gunthorp said.

Gunthorp said she regrets not getting involved in academic and social organizations in college that would have opened more doors for her post-graduation.

She said she is trying to make up for it now.

“I never say 'no' to any free seminar, networking event or volunteer opportunity, because you never know where your big break will be,” Gunthorp said.

Dirschell, who graduated in 2001 with a degree in integrative public relations, said Gunthorp and Eley are hardworking, independent, fun and savvy businesswomen.

"We work together without the formal rules of a partnership, which has been great for us," Eley said. "If (the business) gets bigger, there is a possibility things will change, but, right now, it's just new and fun."

Dirschell said the women pool their resources and tools to create a successful environment working together and do not act as competitors.

"I'm proud to associate myself with them. Together, we make a great team, empowering and pushing each other to think big," she said.

The women of 2nd Story Marketing collaborate while keeping their independent businesses to avoid any difficult challenges that partnerships often face, Eley said.

"We are also a referral source for each other, so we all get to work on projects and tasks we enjoy," she said. "It's a very unconventional way of operating a business, but we are thriving and, most importantly, finding joy in our work"