Baseball keeps MAC tournament hopes alive with 5-3 10-inning win at WMU

It took until the seventh inning for baseball to score its first run of the game, helping lay the foundation for a 5-3 victory in extra innings.

Freshmen Taylor Lehnert started on the mound for CMU and in the seventh inning, freshmen Jimmy McNamara took over for Lehnert. He went 3.2 innings, not allowing a hit or a run while striking out one. Sophomore Matt Trowbridge closed the game in the tenth for the Chippewas.

It was a big day at the plate for freshmen Neal Jacobs. He went four-for five-with two RBI, which included a two-run home run in the eighth inning.

Freshmen Logan Regnier and sophomore Cody Leichman each had two hits with Leichman having one RBI and scored a run.

The Chippewas left seven men on base in the first six inning while the Broncos managed to score two in the fifth thanks to a fielder's choice and a single to center field making it a 3-0 game.

Heading into the seventh inning CMU would respond with one run. Freshmen Dylan Goodwin singled to left field scoring sophomore Pat MacKenzie from second.

It was a 3-1 WMU lead going into the eighth inning when CMU tied the game up with Jacobs' two-run home run to left field tying the game at three.

Extra innings were needed and it didn’t take long for the Chippewas to take control of the game in the top of the tenth inning, scoring two runs making it a 5-3 score heading into the bottom of the inning.

After a double to left center by senior Jordan Adams, Leichman would double down the left field line scoring Adams and junior Noel Santos would fly out scoring freshmen Ryan Heeke giving CMU the 5-3 lead, and, eventually the win after 10 innings.

CMU will finish up the regular season at 1 p.m. Saturday when senior Rick Dodridge takes the mound for the Chippewas. He comes into the game with a 3-4 record and a 2.94 ERA.