Baseball salvages 8-2 at Kent State Sunday after losing 6-3 Saturday

Baseball out hit Kent State 13-5 on Sunday to help salvage an 8-2 win in the three-game series.

Senior Rick Dodridge started on the mound for the Chippewas. He threw 4.2 innings giving up four hits and two unearned runs along with five strikeouts. He would pick up his fourth win of the season.

Freshmen Jason Gamble took over in the fifth and would close the game. He had three strikeouts only giving up one hit.

In the victory, sophomore Cody Leichman continued his hot hitting with three hits, three RBI and scored a run. Nine players had at least one hit. Freshmen Logan Regnier and senior Tom Lally each contributed with two hits.

Freshmen Taylor Lehnert started the game on Saturday. He would take the loss falling to 3-3 on the season. He pitched 4.1 inning allowing seven hits and four runs, three earned and six strikeouts.

Senior Randon Henika had two hits on Saturday while freshman Morgan Oliver and sophomore Alec Ornelas each had one RBI. Oliver also scored one run. CMU had five hits in the game and five errors.

In the first inning, Logan Regnier reached first on an error and later scored after Leichman also reached on an error making it 1-0.

The Golden Flashes answered in the bottom half of the first with two runs of their own with three hits in the inning making it 2-1.

The offensive attack continued for the Chippewas in the second inning scoring one run after Ornelas grounded out to shortstop, which scored Oliver from third.

Kent State would respond with three hits in the second inning giving it a 3-2 lead.

It would add a run on a single increasing the lead 4-2 after four innings.

Freshman Jimmy McNamara took over on the mound for Lehnert  in the fifth inning. He would pitch three solid inning allowing four hits and one run that was unearned.

It took until the seventh inning until the Chippewas would score another run. Oliver flew out to left field scoring freshmen Zack Fields from third making it a 4-3 game.

Kent State would add on two more runs in the bottom half of the seventh making it 6-3, ultimately putting the game out of reach as CMU was unable to find any offense in the final two innings.

CMU began Sunday’s game with two runs on three hits in the first inning. Leichman singled to center scoring Lally and sophomore Nick Regnier.

The Chippewas kept the pressure on in third inning increasing their lead making it 5-0 scoring three runs on three hits in the third. Leichman was at it again, scoring two on a double down the right field line while Henika had a RBI single past the shortstop.

Kent State’s only scoring came in the fifth inning with two runs on two hits.

More runs were tacked on in the seventh and eighth inning for the Chippewas. One in the seventh and two in the eighth. In the seventh, freshman Dylan Goodwin homered to lead off the inning and Leichmen and freshman Neal Jacobs scored on a throwing errors, making it an 8-2 ballgame.

CMU will play a midweek game at Theunissen Stadium Tuesday with first pitch scheduled for 4:05 p.m.