CMU sophomore pitcher Dylan Rheault drafted by Baltimore Orioles in 19th round

baseballside
File Photo by Kaitlin Thoresen On March 17, sophomore pitcher Dylan Rheault pitches during Central

With 579th overall pick in the 2013 MLB Draft, the Baltimore Orioles selected Central Michigan redshirt sophomore right-handed pitcher Dylan Rheault.

Rheault, a native of Wheaton, Ill., was selected in the 19th round of the 40-round draft and was the lone Chippewa selected this year.

In 2013, Rheault appeared in 15 games, starting in four, and was 1-4 with a 6.07 ERA in 40 innings of work.

His 2013 numbers were not as strong as his 2012 season.

As a redshirt freshman, Rheault made 17 appearances with two starts and was 2-2 with a 4.43 ERA in 40.2 innings pitched.

In addition, Lake Orion High School senior Nick Deeg, a six-foot-five left-handed pitcher, was selected with the 1,116 pick in the MLB Draft by the Detroit Tigers. Deeg has signed to play at CMU next season but can forgo his college career for the pros.

Vauxhall High School senior shortstop Chris Thibideau, like Deeg, was drafted but is also signed to play at CMU. The Canada native was selected by the San Diego Padres with the 1,198th pick.

None of the three are obligated to take deals with the teams that have drafted them and turn down offers to come to play for CMU.

Rheault is the ninth CMU pitcher since 2010 to be drafted.

In 2011, Zach Cooper was selected by the Miami Marlins but returned to CMU for his senior year. He became a first-team all-conference selection in 2012 was drafted again in 2012 by the Philadelphia Phillies.

Cooper was joined in 2012 by four other drafted CMU players, the largest draft class in the baseball team's history.

Fellow pitchers Jon Weaver (Tampa Bay Rays), Dietrich Enns (New York Yankees) and Ryan Longstrenth (Detroit Tigers) were selected that year, along with shortstop Jordan Dean (Detroit).

Cooper is in Class-A Lakewood and has appeared in 15 games for the BlueClaws with an 0-2 record and 4.88 ERA. Enns is also pitching in Class-A with the Charleston RiverDogs, and in 17 games, has a record of 4-0 with an ERA 0.70 with one start and one save.

Weaver has not played this season and neither has Longstrenth, who is coming off Tommy John surgery. Dean batted .250 for Class-A Lakeland and will continue his season with Class-A Connecticut.