CMU student opens first longboard shop in city

a1-longboarding

Longboards and skateboards continue to be many students' preferred mode of transportation throughout campus, and Kentwood senior Cody Robinet saw an opportunity to capitalize on that.

And he has.

The Back Country Boardshop, 1620 S. Mission St. – Mount Pleasant's first shop that is devoted to selling sports boards and related products – opened Aug. 20.

Robinet said his passion for action sports and his desire to run a business of his own drove him to open his store.

“I’ve always wanted to open up a shop, and it’s a great location,” Robinet said. “The longboarding trend on campus has really been growing. I also love action sports. I used to skateboard awhile ago, but now I really enjoy snowboarding.”

Mason senior Jennifer Whorl is a friend of Robinet’s and has watched the business grow from an idea to reality.

“He was working on it for a long time, trying to perfect every little aspect of the shop,” Whorl said. “Over the past couple of months, I have seen him put all of his time and energy into something that he cares about so much, and it is really cool to see all his friends come together to help his dream come true.”

Mount Pleasant’s very first board shop sells skateboard and snowboard apparel, including shirts, shoes, hats and other gear. The store will carry many popular brands such as Cool Life Livin’, Emerica, Supra, Etnies and more.

“So far, he has only had a little preview of the shop with longboards,” Whorl said. “But the shop will be holding snowboards and much more.”

Whorl said she is confident Robinet will find success with his store, and she is looking forward to shopping there herself.

“When I buy my things for snowboarding this year, I most definitely will go there,” Whorl said. “Not just because he is my friend, but because I know Back Country Boardshop will have reasonable prices and friendly atmosphere.”

Despite his drive for success, Robinet is a relatively laid-back store owner. It's that kind of leadership style that suits the store well, and he hopes the store will become a go-to destination for students looking to find a new board.

“In five years, hopefully, the store will keep rising and operating smoothly,” Robinet said. “I will see where it takes me.”

The store is open Tuesday through Friday from 11 a.m. until 8 p.m., Saturday from 10 a.m. until 6 p.m., and Sunday from noon until 4 p.m.