GUEST COLUMN: Brynn McDonnell, ACLU co-chair: A new beginning

EDITOR'S NOTE: McDonnell is the co-chair of the American Civil Liberties Union at Central Michigan University and the Voices for Planned Parenthood Student Government Association representative. Her views do not necessarily represent those organizations.

I'd normally write my new Central Michigan Life column to speak about progressive issues, but I wanted to start this year with a message to freshmen and new students, regardless of political ideology.

First, welcome to Central Michigan University. You’ll find that by the time your journey ends here, your family will be 27,000 strong.

Second, get involved.

As Shakespeare said, “all the world’s a stage." What will your role be? Student government? Volunteerism? Student organizations? Or, like many students, all of the above? University is about exploration, so try new things. Maybe you’ll find your passion.

Third, respect one another.

In a recent study, it was found that one in four college women are survivors of sexual violence. I say to men: You are better than what you have given yourself. Your worth is far greater than to have set the bar this low. You are up against a culture that gives you inherent privileges. Don’t use those privileges to hurt others. As a survivor of aggression by a college-aged man, I, like all women, have a personal stake in this. Rape culture is alive and well on college campuses, do your part and do not enhance or enable it.

No, this column was not about the environment or my personal area of activism, abortion rights, but it is vital to set a standard for ourselves.

We are Central Michigan University, and because of this, our standards are set high. When I walk around campus, I know I am in the presence of greatness.

So, I know this column was a serious one. Maybe another time I’ll write about my love for progressive Jewish men – but I had to get this out there. Without the foundation for greatness, we cannot achieve progress.

Now, go do great things, and above all, fire up Chips!