COLUMN: Miracles still happen

About three weeks go, I reunited with my sister after two years of being apart, and with her, she brought good news.

My parents are doing great, my brother is growing up surprisingly quickly, and I have been greatly missed by relatives and friends back in Nigeria.

During our small talk, my sister gave me a first-hand narration of a church convention I missed because of the distance and cost.

This convention used to be the highlight of my year back in Nigeria before I departed for college.

She told me of being in the midst of crowds that numbered in the millions. The convention was reported to have hosted the largest crowd of people in one location in the world.

Then she got into the most interesting part of the convention: the testimony of people.

But one testimony stood out, that of a young man.

This man was walking on a familiar road when, suddenly, a car pulled up in front of him and armed men decided to spray him with bullets. The last thing he could remember was that he was lying unconscious on the ground before he woke up.

To his utter surprise and joy, he discovered his shirt was wrecked with holes from the bullets, but his skin was without a single bruise. He was alive!

This in itself is hard for our senses to comprehend. It defies the laws of nature. One bullet alone is sufficient enough to kill you. It seems hard to believe, but it is true nonetheless.

Another instance, one I witnessed with my own eyes, was the case of an older man. He had lost control of his legs, and his mobility was impaired, leaving him confined to a wheelchair.

At this same convention, he got up and walked. You should have been there yourself. It was indeed mind-staggering.

To me, it is not only amazing but comforting to know that the many miraculous acts which we have learned about in history and in our religious classes still happen in our era.

We read of Lazarus rising from the dead, and of the lame man at the beautiful gate jumping and dancing with the very same legs. It is pretty cool that such miracles still happen in our time.

However, I believe that scientists would never be able to understand or explain some of these things.

But I don’t need an explanation. An experience is sufficient enough.