On the Rox cuts 115 hopefuls down to 15, celebrates 10th anniversary

a6-ontherox
Emily Brouwer/Staff Photographer Detroit freshman Kyla Laird, 18, Northville sophomore Taylor Young, 19, and Lansing freshman My-Loc Nguyen, 18, audition for On the Rox acapella group on Sunday evening in the Music Building on the campus of Central Michigan University. On the Rox is looking to add five new members to their group.

Central Michigan University’s female a cappella group is looking forward to its 10th year on campus, and it's going to be a busy one.

The beginning of the 2013 school year was an encouraging start for the ladies of On the Rox. At CMU’s MAINstage two weeks ago, the group compiled a list of more than 100 women who were interested in auditioning for the group – a record high for the a cappella team.

Claire Trapp, a junior from South Haven and secretary of the group, wonders if the hit film "Pitch Perfect" had anything to do with the huge turnout this year.

“It’s literally just like 'Pitch Perfect,'” Trapp said of On the Rox. She laughed and added, “Except toners are completely acceptable.”

It is possible the large amount of interest expressed at MAINstage was inspired by the humor of Fat Amy’s character and the hopes of meeting dreamy aca-men. However, with only 15 spots available in the group, there will be many disappointed hopefuls after new members are announced.

Tryouts were held last night and call-backs are tonight starting at 5 p.m.

When asked what she looks for in potential members, On the Rox President Angela DiGiovanni said she wants women who will be team players.

“Attitude is just as important as talent,” the Shelby Township senior said.

Wixom junior and Public Relations Chair Melissa Anderson agreed, saying a good work ethic will be necessary this semester.

“We need talented girls with a good attitude who are willing to work, because we have a lot planned for this semester,” Anderson said.

The highlight of the semester is the group’s 10th anniversary. The ladies will hold a performance in celebration of this milestone and have invited On the Rox alumnae to take part in the show. The date of the anniversary performance has not yet been scheduled, but will most likely be in November.

The a cappella ladies will focus most of their attention this year on the International Championship of Collegiate A Cappella, a competition the group enters each year. During the ICCA, the group has the chance to compete against other college a cappella teams.

“Definitely a goal every year is to do well at ICCA,” Anderson said.

Despite being a musical group, On the Rox is about more than just singing.

“We make it a goal to make it a social group,” DiGiovanni said. “We’re all there for each other"