Pitcher Jordan Foley sharp in CMU baseball scrimmage

Even though the season does not start for several months, the baseball pitching staff might have its go-to guy.

Junior pitcher Jordan Foley was perfect through three innings on the mound for the Chippewas in their  13-1 trashing of the Ontario Blue Jays on Friday.

Foley struggled with his command in the first inning, but regained his composure and was throwing consistently in the upper 90s during the third inning.

“Once I got my location back and my bearings came back, I was able to keep the ball at my knees and work,” Foley said of his sparkling performance against the Blue Jays.

Foley was drafted in the 26th round of the 2011 MLB Draft by the New York Yankees.

Since being drafted, Foley has appeared in 19 games as a Chippewa, tallying an ERA of 4.40 and a perfect record of 7-0.

He has surrendered a total of only three home runs and opponents are hitting a middling .242 against him in his college career.

Last season, Foley earned MAC Pitcher of the Week honors for his performance the week of April 9. He was also placed on the "Pitcher of the Year Watch List" last season.

“I'm just excited to go out there and compete against other teams again and show them what we've got,” Foley said. “We have a lot of guys coming back who played crucial roles last year and some new guys who are showing a lot in the fall.”

Head coach Steve Jaksa said he is counting on Foley to put up consistent numbers for the Chippewas next spring.

“I think he’s on a really even keel,” Jaksa said. “He understands that you are only as good as your last performance. We expect him to be our Friday guy this year.”

Foley said exhibition games like last Friday’s help him greatly with mechanics and timing during the long offseason.

“I’m just excited to compete against other teams because the fall and winter is a lot of intersquad scrimmages and live sessions,” he said.

Jaksa said the entire team benefits from fall ball.

"Things don’t always go perfectly in the spring,” Jaksa said. “Playing these types of games help you understand how versatile you are and can bode well for individual players and the team as whole.”