10 must-see fall movies

sliderdude

sfaergagasgf

"Rush" (in theaters now)

Director Ron Howard delves into the rivalry and relationship between 1970s formula one drivers James Hunt and Nikki Lauda. The film is character driven and action packed.

"Captain Philips" (Friday)

Tom Hanks seems to have brought back his characteristically strong performances of the early 2000s in this one. Based on a true story, "Captain Phillips" depicts the first U.S. cargo ship to be hijacked in more than 200 hundred years.

"Kill Your Darlings" (Oct. 16)

An Official Selection of the Sundance Film Festival, "Kill Your Darlings" features a remarkably talented cast, including Daniel Radcliff, Ben Foster, Michael C. Hall, Carey Mulligan and Kyra Sedgwick. Powerfully dark and captivating, "Kill Your Darlings" focuses on a 1944 murder that brings together great poets of the time.

"All is Lost" (Oct. 18)

"All is Lost" is a Cannes Official SelectionRobert Redford gives a powerful one-man performance, as he is the only cast member in the film. Redford emotionally depicts the struggle, fear and fight that comes with having to survive a shipwreck alone.

"The Fifth Estate" (Oct. 18)

Benedict Cumberbatch ("Sherlock," "Star Trek Into Darkness") portrays Wikileaks founder Julian Assange. "The Fifth Estate" is based on the real-life evolution and effects of Assange and the whole Wikileaks group.

"The Counselor" (Oct. 25)

Michael Fassbender plays the counselor, who’s in over his head and caught up in drug trafficking. "The Counselor" also features Brad Pitt and Javier Bardem. This film has a star-studded cast, both lead and supporting, that will certainly make for a thrilling fall movie.

"Blue is the Warmest Color" (Oct. 25)

Winner of the Cannes Palm d’Or, "Blue is the Warmest Color" follows the emotional ups and downs that plague the relationship of a young lesbian couple.

"Dallas Buyers Club" (Nov. 1)

Matthew McConaughey continues to redefine himself, portraying Ron Woodroof, the HIV positive electrician who battles the pharmaceutical institutions by selling discounted meds to fellow patients. The movie also features Jared Leto and Jennifer Garner.

"Out of the Furnace" (Dec. 6)

Christian Bale stars as Russell Baze, a convict from the poor northeast who goes on a vengeful quest to find his missing brother. Also featuring: Woody Harrelson, Willem Dafoe, Casey Affleck, Zoe Saldana and Forest Whitaker.

"Inside Llewyn Davis" (Dec. 20)

"Inside Llewyn Davis" is another Official Cannes Selection. Oscar Isaac ("Robin Hood") portrays Llewyn Davis, a folk singer trying to find his way in 1961. Carey Mulligan plays the leading lady and support is provided from John Goodman and Justin Timberlake.  If you consider yourself a fan of music, you should see this movie.