COLUMN: My Halloween wish list

I'm always thrown off when I see gardeners planting flowers this time of year.

Oh, just in time for the, uh, freezing cold, eh? Maybe they know something we don't? Or maybe they're planting some sort of superbreed capable of surviving the winter?"

I can't say for certain, but sure enough, they're sprouting up everywhere on campus. Every day, I see the grounds crew planting more, gloves and shovels in tow.

Maybe they struggle with saying goodbye to summer. Maybe they think the trees are feeling lonely and can't go through the seasonal change alone.

I suppose I am as hypocritical as they come, though, because the other day, I sat down outside of Warriner Hall and let the beautiful scenery absorb me.

I drew in a deep breath of crisp air, pondered the sweet scent of the flowers and meditated on the colorful mystery.

That's all it took to realize what's really going on here.

Mother Earth is clearly a fan of Central Michigan University.

Take a stroll through campus, look up and look down, and you'll see nature has cloaked itself in Chippewa colors. The trees are bleeding maroon and gold, and the flowers seem to be begging the football team to win more games this year.

Hey, at least we have a lot in common. Fall is a losing season for all those involved.

Alright, alright. Jokes are over, and I'm done pretending I know anything about botany or football. I'm only here for the hard cider and tailgates. Although it might be a stretch to hope for a winning season, that doesn't mean I can't place my hope elsewhere.

After all, October has a lot to offer. To celebrate this, I decided to write a Halloween wish list. I'll share a few of the high rankers.

I hope "The Walking Dead" is even more far-fetched and gory than last year.

I hope the first horror movie I watch this year doesn't give me a cold sweat as I lie awake in bed, convincing myself the axe murderer wants me next.

I hope the Tigers win the World Series.

I hope nobody judges me this year when I go out trick or treating.

I hope nobody realizes I'm not kidding about going trick or treating.

There are plenty more, but this piece was never supposed to be about me anyway.

If I had to write the punch line, it might go something like this: The fall season shows us that no matter how short-lived it might be, the world is full of beauty. It's enough to keep our spirits high during low points. And, just like the gardeners, we should all plant seeds for a prettier looking future.