Field hockey drops weekday match at Michigan State, 1-0

Michigan State took down the field hockey team 1-0 in East Lansing today with a late goal.

The Chippewas were on defense for most of the game, as the Spartans took six times the amount of shots as CMU. The Chippewas only shot three times, while MSU took 17 shots, seven of them on goal.

CMU didn't have the same fortune, only taking one shot the entire first half.

At the start of the second half, MSU seemed to have carried over its ability to shoot in bunches, as it did in the first half. The team shot four times within the first two minutes of the half.

While the Spartans seemed to be getting lucky with shots, the Chippewas were getting hounded with penalties. Freshman midfielder Maude Stalars received a green card while junior back Jordyn Brengosz got a yellow card.

A little over 53 minutes into the game, the Spartans found the only goal they needed, putting them ahead 1-0.

CMU became hopeful for a spilt second when junior midfielder Maureen Riley fired off a confident shot at the MSU goal, but came up short when the ball hit off the goal post.

Defensively, the Chippewas were strong, led by sophomore goalkeeper Sadie Reynolds, who had six saves on the day.

CMU wraps up its home season with a tough weekend against No. 13 Northwestern at noon on Sunday and against Mid-American Conference foe Missouri State at 1 p.m. on Saturday.

The Chippewas are ranked third in the MAC at 2-1 in conference play, while Missouri State is last with an 0-3 record.