Lefty McNamara shines in annual baseball scrimmage

b5-baseball

The Chippewas might have found their dominating lefty last weekend.

Sophomore pitcher Jimmy McNamara was outstanding in the annual Fall World Series scrimmage Saturday, as he pitched the Gold squad to a 4-1 win over Maroon.

McNamara allowed six hits, one earned run and struck out seven batters through seven innings of work.

One of the most promising pitchers on the Chippewas staff, he said he has been working all summer on his command and pitching sequence.

“I felt really good out there today,” McNamara said. “We’ve gotten a chance to face hitters live, but this was more of a game atmosphere so that was helpful. This is one of the most important things we do during the fall, so I’m happy it went so well for me.”

McNamara lives with outfielder Logan Regnier and said it was especially fun pitching to his friends and classmates in a live game setting.

“(Regnier) got a nice hit off me the first time up,” McNamara said. “But, I struck him out the next two times, so I’ll have to give it to him a little after the game.”

McNamara said he has a lot in common with Head coach Steve Jaksa (who was also a pitcher during his playing days at CMU).

“I’m really getting along well with the coaching staff and that makes the whole process a lot easier,” McNamara said. “They are all really open and ready to give tips on really little things that end up making the difference.”

Jaksa said he was pleased with McNamara’s performance and is excited to continue to watch the sophomore develop into a pitcher who can pitch deep into a game.

“When you are a lefty and a strike-thrower it makes a big difference,” Jaksa said. “I think we are starting to see we can use (McNamara) several days in a row. We can extend him late into a game. If he continues to pitch like he did today, we do not rule out anything. That’s why we play these fall ball games.”

McNamara said he will continue working on his strength and conditioning over the winter months, not for his own benefit, but for the team.

“I want to do whatever I can to help us win come spring,” McNamara said. “I will accept any role I am given on this team. Whatever I can do is what I am happy with.”