McIntyre joins exclusive club against rival Broncos

Volleyball dropped its second Mid-American Conference match of the season against rival Western Michigan Friday night.

There was one particular bright spot for the Chippewas, though.

During the losing effort, junior outside hitter Kaitlyn McIntyre recorded a team-high 17 kills. This was enough to put her career total at 1,008, making her only the 17th member of the elusive 1,000-kill club.

“We knew it was going to happen," said head coach Erik Olson. "She was just a spectacular outside hitter this weekend for us."

A prestigious honor, McIntyre has been posing kill after kill ever since her freshman year in 2011. In that particular year, she set the Central Michigan freshmen record for kills with a total of 409. In that same season, McIntyre was named to the All-MAC Tournament team and was seventh in the conference in kills per set, with 3.37.

Her dominance at the outside hitter position was just underway at this point. Her sophomore season saw McIntyre lead the team in kills, and she was also named to the All-MAC First Team.

Olson has seen the Beaver Dam, Wisc. native grow as player in these past three years, and he was not at all surprised when his outside hitter reached the plateau.

"The 1,000-kill club is cumulative and she's just a junior," Olson said. "A lot of kids get there the later quarter of their senior year, so (McIntyre) got there pretty quickly."

With her junior year of eligibility underway, McIntyre still has plenty of time to increase her overall kill total before it is all said and done for her at CMU.