COLUMN: How the '8 Mile' star won my heart

Since most teenage girls these days spend their time documenting Justin Bieber's every move or following the relationship status of Harry Styles from One Direction, it's safe to say I can't relate.

Well, not completely.

My teenage years were spent a little differently. My time was spent obsessing over a skinny, bleach blonde kid from the heart of Detroit.

I'll never forget the first Eminem song I listened to, "Mockingbird." I knew he had a reputation of being controversial and offensive, but this song opened up my closed-minded view about him.

Since then, I've bought every one of his CDs, tuned in to every interview and watched "8 Mile" more times than I'd like to admit. Somehow, no matter how many times I watch it, the last few battle scenes never cease to amaze me.

Neither does he.

When most people find out I'm an Eminem fan, they usually think the same thing – she's just another bandwagon fan. I can understand this stereotype because the knowledge of a bandwagon fan doesn't typically extend beyond the chorus of "The Real Slim Shady," which even my mom knows the words to.

Thankfully, this stereotype doesn't apply to me.

I'm not one of those people who listened to his music because they were going through a "misunderstood" phase, because I was trying to rebel against my parents or because his song simply came on the radio station I was listening to.

I listen to his music because I think it's inspiring.

Some people are offended by his lyrics, which to a point I can understand, since many of them aren't exactly what I'd call politically correct.

I think those who are offended are justified. I also think they don't see his music on the level that I do.

Songs like "Spacebound," "Cleanin' Out My Closet" or "Lose Yourself" give you a feel for the real side of Eminem. The side that doesn't necessarily need to use excessive profanity or offensive lyrics to showcase his talent.

What I love most about Eminem is that no matter how many times I've listened to one of his songs, each time I pick up on something new. There is absolutely no other artist I can offer that same compliment to.

It's amazing to me that a kid from a broken home, in a run-down trailer park in Detroit with seemingly no promise for a successful future could form a career that would explode into something bigger than anyone ever imagined.

Maybe it's because I have thick skin that his offensive lyrics don't bother me, but maybe it's because I'm able to look beyond that to see the bigger picture, which is his unparalleled talent.

Either way, I think there's something to be said for a 41-year-old rapper who's still in the game and outselling popular artists who are half his age.

All I know is rapping 6,077 words in one song undoubtedly earns him the title of one of his newest leading tracks, "Rap God"