Call of the Wild: Student forms P&P Outdoor Productions to document hunting expeditions

b1-huntingstoremain

While many students are hitting the woods in search of a prize buck this season, Lapeer junior Nick Pullano is taking his passion for hunting to a new level.

He's making a career out of it.

During his freshman year at Central Michigan University, Pullano started a hunting production company, P&P Outdoor Productions, with the help of his hometown friend and Alpine Community College student Kyle Parker.

“Neither of us has family that’s interested in hunting, so it’s just us two,” Pullano said. “We’re obsessed with watching hunting TV shows, so we decided we could make our own and gave it a shot.”

The pair films and edits their own hunting trips for a show that they co-host called “Headgear Hunters.” In March, their production dreams became a reality when they signed a contract with Hunt Company to have their episodes featured on the company’s YouTube channel.

“It was an amazing feeling knowing that we were taking a huge step in the right direction for the growth of our company,” Parker said. “It really opened the door for our company to grow and become more productive.”

As newcomers in the world of hunting TV, their experience working with Hunt Company has been valuable.

“It’s been an eye-opener,” Pullano said. “We have been able to speak with established producers and have formed many more contacts since joining forces with Hunt Channel.”

Working with reputable hunting professionals and TV veterans has taught the pair what it takes to successful.

“We've learned that the outdoor industry is a very close one, and there are a lot of great people with many years of experience who are more than happy to give you advice to help you succeed,” Parker said. “It takes a lot of hard work, dedication and time. It’s really important to find a way to make your show different from all the others.”

Although working with Hunt Channel has been a big break for P&P Outdoor Productions, their future with the company is still up in the air, as the pair discusses their options.

The duo is confident their standing as a production company will provide them with opportunities in the future.

“We have an advantage because we established a production company, not just a show," Pullano said. "We can have multiple shows that route back to our company. Ultimately, we want to have a successful show on a major hunting network."

Once things take off, the partners hope to take their company outside of Michigan.

“All of our hunts have been in Michigan so far," Pullano said. "We are discussing Alaska hunts and maybe some hunts out west, but we don’t really have the funds right now, since the two owners of the business are college kids."

Between the two of them, they have racked up more hunting experience than one would expect from typical college students.

Among many trophy animals the two have acquired are a black bear and a whitetail buck. The duo said that their passion for hunting stems from an indescribable feeling.

“I enjoy all types of hunting,” Parker said. “There is nothing that can be compared to the experience you get from being in the outdoors.”