SAGE hold open auditions for 'Vagina Monologues'

It's a word many people cringe at the sound of: Vagina.

While some are resistant to talk about their private body parts openly, the women auditioning for "The Vagina Monologues" are happy to discuss them without boundaries.

"'The Vagina Monologues' is freeing," said Kalamazoo freshman Sydney Lambdin. "I thought it'd be a great opportunity to be with a bunch of great women who were open and ready to talk about it."

Central Michigan University's Students Advocating Gender Equality held open auditions Thursday through Saturday. The auditions invited women to join in helping raise awareness of ending violence against women.

"The Vagina Monologues" was written in 1994 by author Eve Ensler, who conducted more than 200 interviews with women of all ages, ethnicities and sexual orientations about their experiences relating to sexuality.

Ellensburg senior Emma Spencer said she chose to audition because she had been part of the production before and had a great experience.

Spencer said it's not fair that men are able to talk about their penises but if women say the word vagina it's almost as bad as the f-word.

"I want to help people get over the stigma of the word 'vagina' in whatever way I can," Spencer said.

Kalamazoo sophomore Kyle Poenicke saw the production last year and said she has always been an advocate for women talking openly about their sexuality.

"Seeing it last year made me realize I'm a feminist," Poenicke said. "I hope people can learn vaginas are complex and they're just as unique as the woman they belong to."

SAGE President and Ortonville junior Hannah Mollett became involved with the production of "The Vagina Monologues" by co-producing it last year when the show was in its second year at CMU.

"I thought it was a good opportunity to get involved with the group," she said, "This year will be the third year 'The Vagina Monologues' has been here."

Mollett hopes the production will help remove some of the stigmas involved with talking about women's issues. She said it's important to raise awareness, as well, because issues such as sexual assault and domestic violence are still prominent today.

Petoskey sophomore and SAGE member Lexi Achterhof became involved with the play after she read it in high school and saw its production last year.

"I read it as a junior in high school because I was looking for an outlet for feminism," she said. "That opened doors for me and lead me to finding out about the production here."

Achterhof starred in the production last year and said it was a great experience.

"I met a lot of really amazing people," she said. "And this year, the opportunity arose to co-direct, and I took it because I love the actors and effort behind it and the sense of community."

The tentative dates for this year's "Vagina Monologues" performances are Feb. 14-16.