Manchester Orchestra rocks show in Detroit

b3-manchesterorchestra

Members of Manchester Orchestra from Atlanta enjoyed the company of the crowd at Saint Andrew's Hall in Detroit last month.

There was a part in the show where Andy Hull, the front man of the band, called out the crowd on one of the funniest things he said he's ever heard during a show.

When Hull was in the middle of a quiet  part of “The River,” from the album, “Mean Everything to Nothing,” the crowd yelled out words of love and support to the band. Aside from intermittent cheers, you could hear a pin drop.

In the midst of this intimate moment, an unidentified person from the balcony yelled, “Don’t touch my sister!” At this point Hull lost it, as he couldn’t help but laugh.

“OK, that is the funniest thing I’ve ever heard someone say during that song,” Hull said from the stage, “Excellent stuff, Saint Andrew's, excellent stuff.”

The band then continued to seamlessly finish the song following the interruption.

The band's ability to get off-track with their audience but still put on a successful show is what stood out last week. Manchester Orchestra was able to successfully connect with the crowd’s energy on a personal level.

Playing everything from their oldest classics, like “Colly Strings” from the album “I’m Like a Virgin Losing a Child,” to their freshest singles like “Cope,” Manchester Orchestra came to Detroit to deliver what the crowd was looking for. Hull made these plans crystal clear.

“Don’t worry, we’re going to play all of them,” Hull said two times with emphasis.

As a member of the audience, I could feel the connection. Everyone was singing along, dancing and smiling. The audience came out for a good show, and they got it.