REVIEW: 'Almost Human' television series booms with success after two-part premiere

b3-tvreview

B3_TVReviewWith a unique and futuristic storyline, it's no surprise the new Fox series "Almost Human" is television's most anticipated new show.

Filled with future technology, gadgetry and human-like robots, this futuristic action/adventure consistently leaves you wanting more.

Set in the not-so-distant year of 2048, "Almost Human" takes a modern, more serious spin on the classic buddy cop show.

Karl Urban, who is also featured in "Star Trek" and "Dredd," stars as Detective John Kennex, an old-school loner cop, returning back to force for the first time since a horrific accident.

Suffering from post-traumatic stress disorder and a hefty dose of attitude, Urban perfectly embodies a hard-boiled detective. His straight-laced attitude adds some occasional humor.

Along with Urban, stars Michael Ealy, commonly known from his appearances in "Californication" and "Las Vegas." Ealy plays the outdated android Dorian. Due to bursts of sudden self-contemplation and emotional destruction, Dorian’s model was discontinued.

After throwing his first partner out of a moving car, a cold, calculating and logical android partner, Detective John Kennex was given the last available android unit, Dorian.

Dorian’s constant need to feel emotion pairs perfectly with the stone cold, closed-off and emotionally unavailable persona of Kennex. Together they form an endearing and genuine partnership, each offering a great deal to the other.

The series also stars "Friday Night Lights" alum, Minka Kelly as a female detective know for having a heart of gold, but also being feisty enough to put the most dangerous criminals behind bars.

Also starring in the series are Lili Taylor ("The Conjuring"), Michael Irby ("Law Abiding Citizen") and Mackenzie Crook ("Game of Thrones").

The first episode gives plenty of backstory to both of the lead characters, making it much easier to root for them. The series premiere finds the duo grappling to understand each other while also trying to solve a complex kidnapping that leads to an illegal ring of personal android manufacturers.

The show has a contemporary "Blade Runner" feel and the visual and special effects are mesmerizing. The storyline is engaging and with a cliffhanger at the end of the second episode, the series immediately leaves you wanting more.

The two-part series premiered with high anticipation and it delivered with great success, achieving high viewer ratings.

Check it out for yourself at 8 p.m. Monday on Fox.

Rating: 4 out of 5 stars