Track and field kicks off indoor season at Holiday Classic

After an unsuccessful season last winter, the men and women of CMU track and field will kick off their indoor season Friday, Dec. 6.

Under first-year director Mark Guthrie, the Chippewas will travel to Saginaw Valley State University to compete in the Holiday Classic.

“We’ll be taking a lot of middle-level athletes, freshmen and redshirts to Friday’s race,” Guthrie said. “This will be a way for them to test the waters and see what college track and field is all about.”

Guthrie said the opening meet should be an opportunity for a “good learning experience” for his athletes. He said he believes in the value of practice more than competition and plans to withhold some of his more advanced runners until later competition.

“It is important that they get to experience college track and field before the season progresses,” Guthrie said.

Last year, the men's program finished last in the Mid-American Conference. The women also placed in the bottom third of the MAC.

In his 19 years at the University of Wisconsin, Guthrie won more than a dozen national championships.

This year, he is focusing on “changing the culture of the program,” in every aspect of CMU track and field. With the intention of improving in every phase and event, Guthrie plans on making significant changes from last year.

“We didn’t get to where we are overnight, and we aren’t going to change it overnight,” Guthrie said. “But already, I am extremely proud of their significant change and growth.”