COLUMN: Ridding ourselves of the clouds of ignorance

Beneath a haze of local apathy, the first Americans reside in Mount Pleasant.

An integral part of our history as a community, and nation, Native American tribes are often ignored by the mainstream media and forced into obscurity.

Their history is often lost on the modern man – too busy to know where he’s been and destined to repeat his past sufferings. That will not happen to the Saginaw Chippewa Indian Tribe, centered just minutes from our fair campus.

Dedicated to preserving and commemorating its noble history, the tribe has made many strides to reach out and share its history and current events with the rest of the world.

Through the beautiful museum at the Ziibiwing Center and its many public events, the tribe has succeeded in carving out a presence around town.

But we can do better.

As Americans, we must all know the history of the Native Americans who were stripped of the very land we live and thrive upon. Their history is our history.

This semester, Central Michigan Life is dedicated to providing extensive and in-depth coverage into our local tribe.

Beginning with a look into the vastly unknown history of the cultural genocide known to the tribe as the Boarding School Era, we will first look back. The coverage that will follow today’s issue will continue to grow awareness, and public support for the tribe.

As we move forward to cover the State of the Tribe address later this month, and continue to work for a sit-down with new Chief Steve Pego, ignorance will swiftly dissolve.

As reporters, we have tasked ourselves with absolving ignorance and washing away apathy. We owe it the people who allow us to pursue the craft we love.

No longer will CM Life look away from the tribe.

This prestigious campus publication will bring this essential vestige of our community back to the forefront of Central Michigan University's community discussion.  As our community looks to CM Life to accurately portray this university and town, it is clear that a piece of the puzzle has long been missing.

We will also call upon the tribe to trust us, to work with our young and curious reporters to foster bonds that will continue to strengthen awareness of their issues. These are issues that belong to each and every citizen and student at CMU.