COLUMN: The mediocrity of "hope and change"

mcdonnell-brynn-web

The Obama campaign, particularly in 2008, has done an incredible job with developing the political strategy of the “story of self.”

Since then, this process has been used in almost every progressive political training. Obama has mastered the art of telling stories that encompass the American Dream to ignite a passion for hope and change. Through his words, citizens are recognized for their hard work and dedication to the advancement of our nation.

Yet, behind his words, Obama forgoes all of his apparent dedication to the individual – selling his soul, not to the American people, but to multi-national corporations.

On Tuesday, Obama did not hesitate to advocate for our addiction to fossil fuels in his address.

"More oil produced at home than we buy from the rest of the world – the first time that’s happened in nearly 20 years," he said.

Just a few years ago on his campaign trail, Obama slammed the oil industry and called our dependence on fossil fuels an addiction – yet here we are, five years later, exasperating our most precious resources and “barreling” into a non-redeeming energy crisis.

After covering the economy and education, Obama then went on to slam the pay gap for women.

With his victory with the Lilly Ledbetter Fair Pay Act, he is free to gloat on his successes. However, Obama drowned out the voices of other female demographics.

Women make 77 cents to every man’s dollar. While Obama should be praised for addressing this issue, income inequality specifically for women of color was ignored. African-American women make 69 cents to every man’s dollar, and Latina women – 58 cents.

Obama’s disregard for women of color was callous.

I also found it interesting that Obama said nothing in relation to women’s health, but it's predictable. He is a weak president. He lets Congress walk all over him. Because of this, instead of addressing women’s issues that are more pertinent, like military-sexual assault, he decided to bring up the white-woman’s wage gap.

I thought that for Obama’s second term, he would reveal the progressive policies that he so passionately argued for. However, all he did show was that he is really good at giving speeches and trying to play nice with Republicans.

Words of compromise and unity with Congressional Republicans saturated the House. The problem is, after five years, the Republicans have shown they are not willing to play nice, nor are they ever going to negotiate.

Obama’s call for unification of the parties was a wasted effort and a sign of his weakness.

Maybe next year we will get to hear another great speech, done by a sensational orator, and not a commander-in-chief.