PlayStation 4 vs. Xbox One: A battle of the consoles

xobxps41

Nearly a year in the making, the two juggernauts of in-home console gaming have taken center stage in a bout for the ages.

Dubbed the “battle of the consoles,” this competition pits the Microsoft Xbox One against the Sony PlayStation 4, both highly touted.

Though this battle might define the gaming/entertainment market for the next few years, these consoles have been throwing punches back and forth since their first generation systems began competing in the early 2000s.

Detroit graduate student Jamal Washington has always been a PlayStation supporter.

"Since I first popped in the original Crash Bandicoot, I was hooked," he said. "Then came the Grand Theft Auto series; I believe it was (Grand Theft Auto 3) that took it to another level, and for a while, GTA was Sony exclusive, so that also played a huge role in my loyalty to Sony."

Even though he experimented with Xbox, Washington remains a loyal Sony supporter and will be getting his PlayStation 4 within the week.

"Loyalty to the brand, comfort with the smaller controllers, Microsoft's arrogance, and fear of defects to the new Xbox played a key role in my decision to go with Sony," Washington said.

After the PlayStation 2, Microsoft revolutionized the gaming community, offering better quality of games, such as "Halo," and the incredibly successful online gaming platform, "Xbox Live."

The successors of the PlayStation and Xbox, respectively, dueled their way to the front of the gaming pack, leaving consoles like the SEGA Dreamcast and even the popular Nintendo Wii in the dust.

The breakdown

Even with a legacy of gamer information laid before them, much of the public still needs some basic tech information before they choose sides in this electronic duel.

Here are some aspects to consider, according to both console websites, us.playstation.com and xbox.com.

In a vague, not so tech-savvy word, the two consoles are "similar."

Both the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One have a DVD and Blu-Ray drive for watching movies. Both consoles offer video game recording and editing, with Xbox One being advanced with more options on that aspect.

Each console is equipped with a complex processor that resembles a super-computer rather than a video game console. The PlayStation 4 and Xbox One both offer a 500GB hard drive for maximum digital storage.

Xbox One has a camera, the Kinect, that is included in the purchase price. The PlayStation 4 also offers a camera, but it is sold separately.

PlayStation 4 holds the advantage in quality of graphics, speed and other technical aspects, while Xbox One has a few more features.

Varying advantages

The PlayStation 4 is region free, which means gamers are able to download popular games from other regions of the world without having to modify their device. Xbox One offers easy use of Skype and other mainstream media platforms. The dashboards of both consoles are a familiar sight from their predecessors and are easy to use.

The last important element in factoring in a decision is the price. The Xbox One has a list price of $499.99 compared to the PlayStation 4, which comes in lower at $399.99.

There is an emerging proverb when buying a new video game console, which is, "buy what suits you." If you enjoy mainstream media, Skype, Netflix and popular games like Halo, the Xbox One might be for you. If you dive deep into the gamer world and enjoy games produced by Naughty Dog, perhaps the PlayStation 4 is the way to go.

Dylan Clauson, a Mason Graduate student, is not familiar with either console, but if he had to choose, he said he would go with the Xbox One because he likes the controller more.

Other students have been put off by the back and forth muddled Microsoft marketing and will remain with Sony just for familiarity.

Portage senior Andrew Reese grew up on the Playstation and enjoys the free online gaming. Reese is also put off by some of the new Xbox One features.

"Xbox One is using facial recognition software so that only so many people can watch Netflix at a time; I think that's whack," Reese said.

Representatives from the Mount Pleasant Wal-Mart have taken notice that local sales of the two consoles are neck and neck.

If the overall sales are any indication, after six weeks, the Play Station 4 is on the rise toward 4 million units sold. The Xbox One, released a week after, is slightly lower with more than 3 million units sold.