Baseball gets swept in doubleheader against UNLV on Saturday

The baseball team was swept in a doubleheader on Saturday against the University of Nevada Las Vegas.

Game one:

Junior right-handed pitcher John Richy picked up the win after putting together a strong effort against the Chippewas in the first game of the doubleheader.

Richy went seven and a third innings while giving up two runs, two hits and striking out seven.

Sophomore relief pitcher Cody Roper got the save after pitching one third of an inning.

Right-handed senior Pat Kaminska shut out the Rebels until the third inning where they scored three runs of Kaminska.

Kaminska gave up seven hits, four runs and struck out five in over five innings of work.

After trailing 5-0 in the 8th inning, CMU threatened after scoring two runs off of a Nick Regnier single to make it 5-2. With runners on second and third, Logan Regnier struck out swinging ending CMU’s chances of taking the lead.

Game two:

Freshman pitcher Nick Deeg took the mound for the Chippewas in the second game. Deeg struggled throughout the game giving up eight hits, six runs and walked three batters in three innings of work.

It looked bleak for CMU as at one point, CMU was trailing 8-0 in the seventh inning.

The Chippewas would rally scoring 8 runs in the seventh to take the lead 8-7.

Sophomore Neal Jacobs pinch hit in the seventh to keep the rally going.

Jacobs singled up the middle as two runners scored.

Nick Regnier, Logan Regnier, and Noel Santos each batted in a run during the seventh.

In the bottom of the seventh inning, CMU, gave the lead right back, as junior pitcher Tim Black blew the lead after giving up four hits, one earned run in two innings.

UNLV would add three more unearned runs in the seventh to put the lead to 11-8.

CMU went down in order in the 8th inning to close out the game.