Baseball picks up first win of the season at Troy with 4-1 victory

The baseball team picked up its first win of the season against Troy on Friday night to improve to 1-4 on the season.

Central Michigan picked up eight hits in a 4-1 victory at Troy (3-2).

After a rough weekend against UNLV, head coach Steve Jaksa was proud of the way his team bounced back.

"The way we picked it up was really good," Jaksa said. "It was a solid game all the way through. I was really happy with the effort with how the guys bounced back. Last weekend was a tough one, but we aren't done yet. We have only played one game. Still it's nice to get that first win, until you have it, you don't have it. That's always important. They are a team that perennially are good."

The Chippewas rode the arm of starting pitcher junior Jordan Foley who pitched seven strong innings giving up two hits and one run while striking out eight batters.

The fourth inning played a key role in the Chippewas offense. With three straight hits the Chippewas were able to score three runs and that would be all Foley needed.

"Foley played a great game," Jaksa said. "He had some really good defense behind him and we got some timely hits. The three runs we got in the fourth were with two outs. That's huge. We get a walk and then we get consecutive hits. We got three straight hits in a row and we got three straight runs. Foley was able to hold them at bay with his seven innings. He threw great."

The only run from the Trojans came on a right field home run in the bottom of the third inning courtesy of Matthew Howard.

While Foley shut down the Trojans, the Regnier brothers sparked the offense.

Both Logan and Nick Reigner went 2-for-3 batting while Logan batted in two runs.

Logan batted in catcher Tyler Huntey in the third fourth inning, while batting in his brother, Nick, in the sixth inning.

Junior Matt Trowbridge picked up the save after pitching a scoreless ninth inning for the first save of the season for CMU.

CMU continues its series against Troy tomorrow with a doubleheader starting at 2 p.m. tomorrow and will conclude with a single game on Sunday at 11 a.m..