Board of Trustees: Wardrop joins CMURC, Opperman moves to development board

kildee-bot-2-20-29-web
Katy Kildee/Staff Photographer Robert F. Wardrop speaks as Sarah R. Opperman listens during a Board of Trustees meeting on Thursday in Bovee University Center.

The Central Michigan University Research Corporation's Board of Directors gained a new member Thursday.

The CMU Board of Trustees approved Trustee Robert Wardrop to replace Sarah Opperman, who will take a seat on the development board of the CMU Research Corporation.

University President George Ross said Wardrop brings many different perspectives to the CMURC.

“Not only as an academic, but he is a practicing attorney,” Ross said. “He's handled business clients over the years. He's a Michigan professional. He's an alum of this university.”

Wardrop obtained a bachelor's degree in math and later obtained a master's degree in economics, even teaching economics for two years, the board of trustee's website said.

Board of Trustees Chairman William Kanine said Wardrop will be a great fit for the CMURC Board of Directors.

“I think Trustee Wardrop is tremendously qualified and has an experienced skill set,” Kanine said. “The ability to get along with people, the ability to understand the issues that are going to be faced by that organization.”

He said the organization thrives best as a whole and not when focused on one person's contributions.

Kanine added Opperman's new position on the CMURC development board will be a better fit for her than a position on the CMURC Board of Directors.

“It's just a matter of time commitment and priorities,” Kanine said. “She still works. She retired from Dow but runs a consulting company, travels a lot and dedicates a lot of time to the university.”

Opperman, a 1981 graduate of CMU with an undergraduate degree in journalism, is also a member of the CMU Journalism Hall of Fame, inducted in 2006.

Beyond journalism, Opperman retired from Dow Chemical Corporation in 2009 after a 28-year career with the Midland-headquartered company.