Divestment group silenced at Board of Trustees Student Liaison meeting

Students asking the Central Michigan University Board of Trustees to stop accepting money from the oil and coal industry were silenced Wednesday at the Board of Trustees Student Liaison meeting.

Students of the divestment movement were originally on the meeting agenda to speak to the board about divesting from companies that contribute to climate change but were dropped from the agenda the day before for unknown reasons.

Student Government Association President Marie Reimers had no comment when asked why the group was dropped from the agenda.

"We had people who were coming to talk about divestment, but we had to tell them we were dropped from the agenda," said senior Mariah Urueta, a representative of the divestment group and SGA House leader. "Jarret Schlaff, the midwest coordinator for the divestment movement was coming tonight, but we had to tell him not to come."

The group attempted to stage a peaceful protest outside the meeting in the Bovee University Center, handing out fliers and holding a banner that read "Divest CMU for our future," but were told by Shaun Holtgreive, executive director of student life and campus affairs, that they were not permitted to protest inside the building and could face an automatic suspension if anyone filed a complaint.

The group plans to have a representative speak on the group's behalf during public comments at the Board of Trustees meeting Feb. 20.