Shawntoreah Turk seizes 400m indoor record at Big Elite meet

With 200 meters left in her race, senior Shawntoreah Turk started tapping into her deepest reserves.

Halfway through her 400m-dash at the Big Meet Elite on Friday, head coach Mark Guthrie called out Turk's split of 26.2, on pace to break the school record.

But Turk had other challenges to worry about.

Running unattached, Verone Chambers started creeping up on Turk from behind. Turk had been leading the competition at the cut-in, but now Chambers was catching up.

“Coach (Guthrie) tells me I have a very slow start,” Turk said. “So, I normally work on my kick at the end.”

As they rounded the corner, Chambers began riding Turk’s shoulder, trying to make the pass.

Last weekend at Akron, Turk ran a 53.98, – a national qualifying time. Better yet, Turk’s race at Akron put her within milliseconds of the indoor track 400m school record of 53.82, set in 2007 by Jenaie Edwards.

Chambers was gunning for the national qualifying time, and Turk knew that Chambers' effort would be the motivation needed to push her to break the record.

“It’s been my goal to get that record all year,” Turk said. “The other girl gave me the extra boost that I don’t usually get. She gave me a run for my money, and it was cool how we worked with each other during the race.”

As the pair closed in on the finish line, several seconds ahead of the rest of the field, Turk and Chambers ran along side each other, battling for the lead.

“At that point, I started fighting and stopped running,” Turk said. “We were back and forth the entire time.”

Chambers crossed the line inches ahead of Turk, finishing in 53.66. Coming in .1 seconds later, Turk snagged second place, finishing with a record-breaking 53.76.

“It’s a blessing to get the record,” Turk said. “It’s very rewarding to see all of my hard work paid off.”

Turk is ranked first in the Mid-American Conference, and 24th in the nation.

“She’s running really well right now,” Guthrie said. “She’s done everything we’ve asked her to do and been compliant with the workouts and the rehabilitation and the food plans. As a coach, she’s everything you can ask for in an athlete.”

Turk also ran the 200m-dash Friday, coming in fourth place. She is ranked fifth in the MAC for the 200m-dash.

“Normally at this point in the season, I’m anxious and nervous,” Turk said. “But with coach Guthrie’s new training, it’s more of an excited anxious. I’m excited to see what I can bring out this season, and it’s been exciting to see everybody hitting their marks. Guthrie has been nothing short of amazing. He’s very passionate and very knowledgeable, and that’s what you need in a coach.”

Turk attributes much of her success to Guthrie, who emphasizes changing the culture of the program, as well as her supportive team.

Last week, Turk was also nominated for the MAC Player of the Week for her performance at Akron, which earned her the national qualifier.

“I’ve never had that before and I think I’m the first one on this team to get it this season,” she said. “Because there is so much going on in basketball right now, I was totally not expecting this. I’m very honored.”