Students learn more about the opposite sex at 'Live Group Sex Therapy'

kk-sextherapy-08
Daniel Packard reads through student surveys before beginning his "Live Group Sex Therapy" show on Wednesday in Bovee Unversity Center. (Katy Kildee | Staff Photographer)

[wzslider autoplay="true" interval="5000" info="true" lightbox="true"]Authenticity, openness and knowing that you are enough.

Comedian and love coach Daniel Packard told students these three ingredients are the secret to love during his show Wednesday evening in the Bovee University Center Rotunda.

Hosted by the Program Board, "Live Group Sex Therapy" featured Packard, who spoke to a mixed audience of male and female students about love, sex and relationships.

Contrary to the title, Packard did not focus solely on sex.

“This is about love and learning to be in an effective relationship so you can have sex with someone you really love,” he said.

Audience members were pleasantly surprised about the tone of the show.

“It’s not what I expected, but I thought it was very well done, very funny," said Flushing junior Kara Okoneski. "He got us all involved and the audience all participated.”

Throughout the show, the audience joined in on inspirational chants and discussions, and even texted anonymous sexual fantasies that were displayed on the projection screen.

Packard also called members of the audience on stage.

Troy freshman Blake Dagenais was called up when he admitted to being shy around the opposite sex. He received coaching on complimenting an audience member of his choice.

“It was a confidence booster," Dagenais said. "It was a good reminder that even though you think you’re not good enough, other people think you are. I really enjoyed it. Everyone went along with it, which made it more interesting.”

Packard emphasized the importance of letting go of fear and realizing that being authentic and open is enough.

“When we get mad, behind the anger is fear," Packard said. "The opposite of fear is love. We’re either going toward fear or we’re going toward love. It’s about looking at fear, illuminating fear and having less of ‘hell no’ and more ‘hell yes.’ You’re in the friend-zone because you’re afraid to put yourself in the love-zone.”

The difference between genders was also a topic of discussion that had the crowd laughing.

“Guys, we’re the crazy ones," he said. "We put ourselves in the hands of schizophrenic, bipolar maniacs. You’re trying to solve an unsolvable group. Ladies, you’re trying to trust the untrustable. You’re never going to know everything they’re up to, but we’re not smart enough to play you.”

The key to an effective relationship is to understand yourself as well as the opposite sex, Packard said.

“A wise man once told me our lives could be condensed into a two-hour movie," he said. "The question is what movie do you want it to be? I suggest one where we all come together."

http://vimeo.com/87837532