Commencement speakers picked for May ceremonies

Central Michigan University announced the keynote speakers for its four spring commencement ceremonies.

Robert Kohrman, John Fikany, Teri Hansen and W. Curtis White will share their stories and experiences with students as they finish their CMU undergraduate careers.

Kohrman will speak at the doctoral ceremony on Friday, May 9. Kohrman is a retired CMU professor and served as the dean for the College of Science and Technology. He was a member of the Clarke Historical Library Board of Governors.

The May 10 ceremony will feature Fikany, the vice president of the U.S. Enterprise and Partner Group for the Central Region for Microsoft Corp. He has been at Microsoft for 10 years where he has worked with and led businesses, and served in high-level leadership roles.

At the preceding 1 p.m. ceremony, opera singer and actress Hansen will serve as the keynote speaker. Hansen is a 1987 graduate of CMU and is known for her work as a talented singing actress. She has had leading roles with many programs nationally and internationally and was nominated as a leading actor for the Kennedy Center Irene Ryan Award for her performance in Bertolt Brecht’s “The Caucasian Chalk Circle.”

White will address the graduates at the final ceremony Saturday evening. White is the president and chief technology consultant of White IEQ Consulting. For more than 50 years, White has worked extensively with antimicrobial agents while serving as a teacher and working at the Dow Chemical Company among other companies. He also founded Aegis Environmental Management and served as CEO and other positions for the company.