EDITORIAL: Let love live

Some of Michigan’s government officials are placing themselves on the wrong side of history.

Although a U.S. district judge ruled last week to invalidate a state constitutional amendment prohibiting same-sex marriage, the ruling has been effectively nullified with a stay, or in other words, a return to the original law that upheld the ban.

The stay, which was continued in court Tuesday, means more than 300 newly-married gay and lesbian couples will not receive the same legal benefits as their heterosexual counterparts.

Initiating the proceedings, Attorney General Bill Schuette claimed he is upholding the will of the people – citing the importance of following the results of a 2004 referendum that originally banned same-sex marriages in Michigan.

However, in 2008, the Michigan Medical Marijuana Act was approved by more than 63 percent of Michigan voters but was vehemently opposed by Schuette. He claimed that despite the popular vote, legalizing weed would wrongfully supersede federal law and has continued to make access to prescription marijuana challenging for patients and caregivers.

Schuette has proven to be an advocate, not for the will of the people, but for his own interpretation of Michigan’s constitution. He is an impediment to the natural progression of human rights – and our governor isn’t helping to alleviate the situation.

During his initial gubernatorial debate, Snyder made a statement supporting marriage as an institution “between a man and woman.” Since then, he has remained silent on where he stands on the issue today. Snyder also refuses to clarify his position surrounding the recent court trials.

Silence is providing no support to gay and lesbian couples that demand the same constitutional rights as other loving couples.

Although some call for a ballot proposal, which would leave the issue of same-sex marriage to a popular vote, some issues transcend the democratic process.

Love, specifically through marriage, is worth fighting for.

Affording law-abiding American citizens their basic human rights should not be subject to a vote, but should be a guaranteed facet of life in a free society. It should be a right, not a privilege.

Gay and lesbian couples deserve the same protection under the law as heterosexual couples.

It’s time for Snyder to take a stand and become the leader we need. In addition to focusing on economics and job growth, our governor needs to defend basic civil liberties. If he chooses not to defend these liberties, then at least the people of Michigan will know what kind of leader he wants to be.

For an administration that vows to “reinvent Michigan,” it is time we see a measurable social reinvention.

It’s time to do away with intolerance.

Let's reinvent our state as a place where everyone is welcome. Let's erase discrimination from our state constitution and allow the free expression of love to find a permanent home in Michigan.