COLUMN: Involvement and a job prospect with Best Buddies

zaleski-megan

Zaleski_MeganBest Buddies, an organization on Central Michigan University’s campus, fosters friendships with individuals from the community of Mount Pleasant with intellectual disabilities – and it's an amazing opportunity.

As students, we work to enhance our resumes throughout our four or more years of college. When students graduate and start applying for jobs, companies look for some type of community service. Best Buddies is an opportunity to provide this resume boost and offers a rewarding and humbling experience.

“While a majority of our members are majoring in special education, communication disorders, or education – I encourage all students at CMU to join," said Student Director Grace Gimesky. "It's an organization that allows you to work successfully with all types of people.”

When employers look at resumés, they look for helpful, considerate, loyal and dependable people, according to Community Employment Services statistics. Best Buddies is an organization that looks for students with all of these traits.

Building relationships with individuals with intellectual disorders requires students to be not only loyal, but also to remain considerate and dependable. In order for students to open the doors to a new way of experiencing and seeing life, they must be able to create a personal bond with their buddies, which translates into a strong example for a personal resume.

According to a study from Rutgers University, only 51 percent of college graduates since 2006 have a full-time job. This study shows it is important to build a well-rounded resume that shows special skills and opportunities taken during college.

With CMU having more than 300 student organizations for students to get involved on campus, it is essential to take these opportunities.

Commitment to an organization on campus shows involvement in our school and community and it's a commitment that will ultimately increase chances of acquiring a job after college.