EDITORIAL: Dedicated to accuracy, transparency

As a media organization, the credibility of our content is weighted heavily on two key elements: Accuracy and reliability. Without both, readers cannot depend on Central Michigan Life for quality news reporting.

On Friday, we published a story detailing our Freedom of Information Act request for a legal settlement between Central Michigan University and LaBelle Limited Partnership. The settlement provides details on attempts to construct an on-campus hotel near Kelly/Shorts Stadium.

In the story, we reported that our FOIA request sent on Jan. 26 was not granted and Mary Roy, CMU’s Freedom of Information officer, was untruthful in claiming a copy of the settlement had been sent to our office on Dec. 5.

Since publication, we have learned we were incorrect. A copy of the settlement was, as Roy said, sent to a CM Life reporter on Dec. 5.

The media is often referred to as the fourth branch of government. As the fourth estate, we are charged with a key watchdog role. It is our duty to hold others accountable and ensure those in power do not abuse their authority.

However, in order to hold others to a higher standard and keep CMU accountable for its actions, we first need to take responsibility for our own.

We recognize our mistake and we apologize. Every effort will be placed on ensuring errors of this nature do not happen again.

We do not hide behind excuses. Error is inevitable, but the way in which it is handled is often more important.

When we make a mistake, we recognize the importance of admitting it and correcting it. It would be hypocritical if we did not hold ourselves accountable the same way we hold others.

Anytime an error is discovered in our reporting, a correction is published. Rather than omitting the error from the original post, our editors place a note preceding the story that explains the process to our readers. If something is incorrect, we will tell you how and what we did to correct it.

As for our print product, we have a static corrections box on Page Two.

If a story is completely inaccurate, we will replace it and acknowledge our errors publicly.

By reporting as transparently as possible, we hope our readers continue to rely on us and trust our coverage. With an ever-increasing flow of information to base opinions, we realize the importance of context and delivering accurate information.

According to the Pew Research Center, 38 percent of adults consume their news on Facebook and Twitter exclusively. CM Life would like to place an extensive emphasis on differentiating ourselves from blog posts, social media and other less-than-reliable forms of news reporting.

We hope to move past our missteps Friday with a continued commitment to precision and attention to detail.

Our editors will work more diligently to check each fact. Our reporters will work to verify information with sources and to clarify any inaccuracies.

With more one-on-one sessions with reporters and editors, we will erase confusion in our reporting.

By cleaning up our mistakes and mending relationships in the community, we hope to prove our dedication to getting the story right.