Program Board revives Hip Hop Week tradition

After three registered student organizations worked to revive the old tradition, Hip Hop Week will return to Central Michigan University. 

CMU Program Board, Collective Action for Cultural Unity and Men about Change will host the week of events starting Monday. The week will start with the movie "Something From Nothing: The Art of Rap" and end on Sept. 28 with the Ludacris concert.

Program Board President Joshua Palmer said bringing Hip Hop Week back and having Ludacris back during the same week is good for the CMU tradition.

“When we do our programming, we look for an educational component to each program," Palmer said. "Hip Hop week gives students a chance to learn a little bit about the history and culture of Hip Hop."

Hip Hop week includes a variety of events such as a discussion on Tuesday about what hip hop is, a trivia night on Wednesday and a rap battle on Thursday.

Avery Peeples, president of Collective Action for Cultural Unity, said there was no trouble getting people to sign up for the rap battle.

“We already knew of some students that enjoyed rapping and had rapped at other functions so we reached out them," Peeples said. “We already had enough interest before we even had to put a sign up sheet out."

Students are also excited about this upcoming week and think it will great for the campus community.

“I think it will be a great way for students to come together and share interests," said Grand Rapids sophomore Claire Kupris. “I think it’s important because hip hop is a music genre listened to by a lot of different groups of people."

Hip Hop Week kicks off at 7 p.m. Monday with the movie "Something From Nothing" in the Charles V. Park Library Auditorium. The documentary discusses the heart and soul of hip hop music through interviews of artists in the genre. The event is free and open to the public. 

For more information on Hip Hop Week and a full calendar of events, visit cmich.orgsync.com/org/cmupb.