Why Kent State will win the MAC title

fieldhockey
Freshman forward Haley Bova carries the ball downfield during a matchup against Ohio on Oct. 25 at the CMU Field Hockey Complex. The Chippewas lost in overtime 3-2.

Kent State University has the Chippewas number in field hockey.

In high pressure matches the Golden Flashes have knocked Central Michigan University out of the Mid-American Championship Tournament six times in the last eight times they have met, once in the quarterfinals and five times in the semifinals.

KSU has won 27 of their last 33 matches against the Chippewas. The last time CMU beat Kent State in conference play was in 2007.

CMU’s winning percentage against Kent State is a lowly 18 percent since the onset of the new millennium.

0

The Golden Flashes have history on their side as they come into the final game of the MAC season with vengeance in mind after the Chippewas knocked them out of the MAC Tournament semifinals last season.

This match will decide the MAC Championship, and since Kent State hasn’t lost to CMU in seven years, the Golden Flashes will hoist the plaque once again.

Kent State will come to Mount Pleasant with a three-game win streak behind them against a Chippewa team who have lost their last two matches.

The Golden Flashes have the best record in the MAC once again, and a victory against CMU means an undefeated conference season.

If Kent State proves to be victorious on Saturday, they will head back to Kent, Oh., with a title and will host the MAC Tournament in hopes of another addition to an already decorated trophy collection.

The title would mean more to the Golden Flashes.

If CMU wins, the title will be shared with Kent State and would follow with the Chippewas traveling to Kent, of whom they would share the title with.

CMU would fight to win the tournament title with their MAC Title shareholders.

Kent State has scored 49 goals in 16 games while CMU has scored 23 goals in 17 games.

In their last three matches the Golden Flashes have outscored opponents nine goals to two. Not only do they perform on offense, but also hold a league best of four shutouts.

The Golden Flashes sit atop of 12 categories of statistics in the MAC, almost all of which are offensive statistics.

CMU leads two categories: saves and saves per game.