Department of Journalism inducts four to Hall of Fame

hof

From left to right, Guy Meiss, Kelly Kolhagen Crawford, Rick Fitzgerald and Tim Smith were inducted to the CMU Journalism Hall of Fame.

Central Michigan University's Department of Journalism inducted four new members into its Journalism Hall of Fame on Saturday. 

Kelly Kolhagen Crawford, a 1981 graduate, spent more than 20 years at The Detroit News. In 1998, she was named one of the nation's "Most Influential Media Elite." She currently is the senior vice president for MSL. GM Global Communications.

Rick Fitzgerald, a 1975 graduate, served as metro editor of the Muskegon Chronicle and the Ann Arbor News. He is the director of public affairs and internal communication at the University of Michigan. 

Tim Smith, a 1986 graduate, purchased the controlling ownership of Skidmore Studio, a branding company, in 2010. With Smith's leadership, the design firm has grown its revenue by 200 percent.

Guy Meiss joined the CMU faculty in 1977 and ended his career as chair of the journalism department. Meiss was selected as a Gannett Teaching Fellow at the School of Journalism, Indiana University, and wrote and spoke extensively on journalism education.

Sean Proctor, a 2011 graduate, was named the 2014 Young Journalist of the Year by the Hall of Fame. The photographer for The Midland Daily News recently was named the National Press Photographers Association's 2014 (Small Market) Photojournalist of the Year. He starts a new career with The Boston Globe in December.