Veterans day events

veteransday
A huge American flag is carried down Sumter Street during the 35th Annual Veterans Day Parade in Columbia, S.C., Monday, Nov. 11, 2013.

Central Michigan University is hosting a week of events for Veteran’s Day.

Monday marks the first of several documentary film showings in the Park Library Auditorium at 6 p.m. Veterans in “The Welcome Home“ share the fear, anger, and isolation of post-traumatic stress that plagues them and their families as they struggle to express their anguish during a healing retreat.

After each film presentation, the Veterans Outreach Panel will offer a forum for dialogue with those who are going through, or have an interest in, the transition from warrior to scholar. All are welcome to participate and support our veteran students.

On Tuesday in Plachta Auditorium there will be a ceremony from 6-7 p.m. Master of Ceremonies Marq Hicks will lead the event, followed by Keynote Speaker Barton Buechner, a retired Navy Captain.

Another documentary will be shown Wednesday at 6 p.m. followed by a panel discussion. “When Women Come Marching Home“ is an intimate portrait of several women veterans as they transition

Thursday marks the final film showing. “Where Soldiers Come From” is a true story that follows several young men as they grow and

change from reckless teenagers, to soldiers looking for bombs in Afghanistan, to 23-year-old veterans dealing with the silent wounds of Traumatic Brain Injury and PTSD.