Bradford scores 34 points as women's basketball beats Oregon

ball-01
Crystal Bradford goes up for a shot against Ball State at McGuirk Arena on Thursday. CMU won in overtime 85-72. (Max Barth | Staff Photographer)

LAS VEGAS-- Topping Oregon 73-67, the Central Michigan University women's basketball team finished its weekend trip to the South Point Thanksgiving Shootout undefeated.

In one of the best performances she has had during her career, CMU senior guard Crystal Bradford scored 34 points, pulled in 15 rebounds and shot six-for-10 from 3-point range in CMU's victory. 

"That's what she's supposed to do," said head coach Sue Guevara. "The thing I was most impressed with is that she only had two turnovers. She was in control." 

It was Bradford's first return to her old dominant form since suffering a season-ending leg injury last season. 

"First off I want to give God the glory," Bradford said. "I'm blessed to be out here after the way last year ended for me. It feels good to be moving again." 

With Bradford's help, the Chippewas shot an impressive five-for-nine from 3-point range in the second half as they pulled away from the Ducks. 

"(That is) having a mindset that the orange ball is a rock and the rim is the ocean," Bradford explained. 

Another CMU senior, point guard Jessica Green, scored 11 points and played all 40 minutes of the game against UO. CMU shot a season-high 42 percent from 3-point range as it moved to 3-1 on the season. 

"Our depth wore them down," Guevara said. "That was really big. In the first half, we weren't getting out on defense quick enough. But we got the stops when we needed to." 

A scary moment took place for CMU when sophomore forward Jewel Cotton suffered a leg injury during the first half of Friday night's game. 

"It was fuel to our fire seeing that," Bradford said. "Seeing her go down like that was heart-touching for me. You naturally are pretty scared about it." 

Cotton will be evaluated when the Chippewas head back to Mount Pleasant, where they will begin to prepare for Memphis University on Dec. 6. 

For a full story on the CMU women's basketball team's pair of wins over the holiday weekend, read Monday's edition of Central Michigan Life