COLUMN: An alternative to alternative breaks

ashlea_phenicie

I will not donate to your alternative break or mission trip. I don’t think you’re a horrible person; in fact I'm sure you have a big heart and want to make a difference in the world. My refusal is not a judgment. I just don’t want anyone to make the same mistake I did.

When I was in high school, my goal was to go on a mission trip to Africa or South America. I had friends who had gone to several countries around the world to help build schools and work with children. They had a fantastic time, learned about other cultures and helped people. I wanted to do the same, so I brought the idea up to a church youth group I was in.

My youth pastor let out a deep sigh. He asked if I had any construction, teaching or medical experience. I did not. He asked me what I could do for people in third world countries that they could not do for themselves. I didn’t answer.

He explained that if I wanted to help these people, raising thousands of dollars for plane tickets to transport unskilled volunteers was not the best way to go about it.

I was embarrassed and a little hurt, but he was right. I did not have skills valuable enough to justify a $2,000 trip to another country. If I really wanted to help people, it would be better to donate $2,000 to charities that were set up in the area.

In the end, our youth group participated in 40 Hour Famine, a fundraising campaign that provides aid to areas around the world that are struggling with access to food. We also participated in service projects benefitting the local community.

So while I admire your dedication to helping others, I have learned my lesson. My volunteering hours will be spent in our local community and my charitable donations will go wherever they can make the biggest difference.