Extra Points: A roundup of the latest CMU sports headlines

Athletes to receive about $3,500 more per year for cost-of-living expenses

As early as Fall 2015, Central Michigan University athletes on scholarship will be given a stipend that covers cost-of-attendance in addition to tuition.

The average NCAA difference between an athletic scholarship and the cost-of-attendance is $3,500 according to CBS Sports.

The Power 5 Conferences passed the measure at the NCAA Convention on Saturday and the Mid-American Conference sent out a press release Sunday in support of the legislation.

“I want to reiterate the position that was developed by our Council of Presidents last fall,” said MAC Commissioner Dr. Jon Steinbrecher. “Our stance remains the same. The Mid-American Conference is dedicated to supporting our student-athletes in the classroom, the community and on the playing field with the ultimate goal of graduating and having a great collegiate experience.

"We will support the legislation that redefines an athletics grant-in-aid to include the cost of attendance.”

Steinbrecher estimated in October that the cost would range from $500,000 to $1 million per school each year. He said new revenue streams like the MAC’s 13-year contract with ESPN will help cover the costs.

Central Michigan Athletics released a statement Tuesday in support of the decision.

“Central Michigan Athletics supports the MAC Council of President’s commitment to include cost-of-attendance in student-athlete scholarships,” the department said in a release. “Like other MAC institutions, we have begun working with our campus partners to address this change of an athletics grant-in-aid package.”

Cheer team reaches national finals

The Central Michigan University cheer team made history in 2014 sending two teams to Orlando, Fla. for the Universal Cheerleaders Association College Cheerleading National Championship.

The team made program history again Sunday, sending two teams to the finals for the first time.

The all-girl team finished ninth out of 14 finalists Sunday night in Division IA. The team failed to qualify for finals last season.

The co-ed team placed 15th out of 15 teams in Division IA in the final round one year after placing seventh in 2014.

The University of Alabama placed first in both all-girl and co-ed.

CMU has three Cheer teams, all-girl, small co-ed and large co-ed. When the groups are not competing nationally, the team’s cheer at football, wrestling, soccer, volleyball and men’s and women’s basketball events.

Gosse recognized for academic excellence

Laura Gosse of the Central Michigan University women’s soccer team has been named to the National Soccer Coaches Association of America Scholar All-America All-North/Central Regional University Second Team.

A native of Markham, Ontario, Gosse maintains a 3.76 GPA and, in 2014, led CMU with eight goals and 16 points.

Majoring in sociology, she was a member of a Chippewas team, that earned a cumulative GPA of 3.49 and earned the Collegiate Team Academic Award for the 2013-14 academic year.

Gosse finished third in the Mid-American Conference in goals and sixth in overall points this season.

She earned All-MAC honors and was also named Academic All-MAC.

Moraw named MAC Gymnast of the Week

Central Michigan University gymnast, Halle Moraw, has been named the Mid-American Conference’s Gymnast of the Week.

She led CMU to wins against Eastern Michigan University and Seattle Pacific University in a tri-meet last week.

Moraw, a team captain, posted a 9.9, a season-best, winning the floor exercise. Moraw also scored a 9.800 on vault. The later toed her for best and was another season-best.

She also managed to post a mark of 9.800, tying her for third place in the competition.

A senior from Clarkston, Moraw helped the Chippewas earn a season-best 195.875 team score, improving their record to 3-1 overall and 1-0 in the MAC.

Nine field hockey players earn All-MAC Academic honors

Central Michigan University’s field hockey team had nine of it’s players received Academic All Mid-American Conference honors for the 2014 season.

Honorees must have participated in at least half of an athlete’s matches, while maintaining a 3.2 GPA.

The list includes:

Jordyn Brengosz, senior, actuarial science, 3.89 GPA.

Kaysie Gregory, junior, psychology, 3.81 GPA.

Kianne Hinkle, junior, integrative public relations, 3.74 GPA.

Taylor McKeon, junior, communication, 3.29 GPA.

Sadie Lynn Reynolds, junior, communications disorders, 3.29 GPA.

Olivia Shagam, junior, exercise science, 3.41 GPA.

Maude Stalars, sophomore, international business, 3.42 GPA.

Olivia Wagner, sophomore, recreation (outdoor and environmental), 3.83 GPA.