Women’s basketball fights through shooting troubles

20150011_womens_basketball_sew17
Senior guard Kerby Tamm (12) avoids Northern Illinois guard Ally Lehman (31) at McGuirk Arena, Saturday, January 10, 2015. Central defeated Northern Illinois (56-43).

Head Coach Sue Guevara has built a 3-point shooting reputation during her time at Central Michigan University.

Guevara’s teams have repeatedly set program records for 3-point field goals and percentage since 2008.

Last season, the Chippewas shot 35 percent from beyond the arc. Three players hit more than 40 shots from long range, including 100 3-pointers from alumna Niki DiGuilio.

Seventeen games into the 2014-15 season, the Chippewas are hitting 29 percent of the threes they take.

Guevara's confidence in her team’s shooting abilities has not wavered.

“I talked to our team about it and I don’t want to beat a dead horse,” Guevara said. “We have good 3-point shooters. Right now they are just a little inconsistent. I still have all of the confidence in the world in them.”

Senior Kerby Tamm was pegged as the Chippewas’ main threat from deep coming into the season. She is shooting 32 percent so far.

To fight through the downward trend, Tamm is channeling what she learned from DiGuilio.

“I just need to have no conscience coming onto the court,” Tamm said. “If you miss a shot, just know that the next one is going in.”

Tamm is accompanied on the 3-point line by freshman Cassandra Breen. The Woodhaven-native was a prolific shooter in high school, starting all four years and leading her team in 3-pointers.

Breen has shot 36 percent from beyond the arc to lead the team.

“My role on the team is to get hustle plays,” Breen said. “I’m trying to go the dirty work. I’ll take charges and get rebounds. I’ll do anything to help my team.”

The loss of senior point guard Jessica Green to injury has forced the Chippewas to adjust their long range attack.

“We do miss a little bit of an outside scoring threat without Jess,” Tamm said. “Other people have stepped their game up and we are scoring more on the inside.”

CMU has managed to win despite the lack of their most historically successful gameplan. The Chippewas are 4-0 in conference play with several wins coming from strong post and defensive play.

According to Guevara, this may be the way her team will have to win postseason games in March.

“We are digging deep and finding ways to win,” she said. “That’s just what we are going to have to do.”