JR's All-Star Haircuts for Men boasts salon skills with barbershop feel

main_jr
Family owned JR's All Star Haircuts For Men opened it's Mount Pleasant location in August 2014 and currently has salons in Bay City, Shields, and Saginaw, Feb. 10, Mount Pleasant Shopping Center.

Logos of every Detroit Sports team fill the wall space along with enormous high definition televisions and a comfy seat to relax in. 

It's not a sports bar. It’s a salon.

JR’s All-Star Haircuts For Men, 2157 South Mission Street, opened for business in September. Services range from a basic haircut, which includes a shampoo, scalp massage and a hot towel, to an eyebrow wax.  

“We are not a barber shop. We are stylists, but we have barber skills,” said Mellissa Hutchins, a stylist at the salon.

Contact Information

Phone: (989) 317-0496

Website: jrscuts.com

Hours of operation: Monday-Friday 11 a.m.-7 p.m., Saturday 10 a.m.-4 p.m.

The salon combines both the aesthetics elements of a sports bar and a machine shop. Walls are covered with the logos of the Detroit Lions, Pistons, Tigers and Red Wings. For men waiting for their haircut, JR’s offers patrons reading material including Golf, Sports Illustrated and National Geographic. If those on deck don’t feel like reading, they can watch one of the two large HDTVs that are positioned between the sports logos.   

While it offers a distinct masculine atmosphere, one customer keeps coming back because of the friendly service. Bay City senior Cale Witek, a regular at JR's, prefers it to the competition for various reasons.

"(JR's has) better service, more options (and is) cheaper," Witek said.

Witek likes to keep his style simple, with a short buzz cut all around.

“It’s a fun place, the staff is always friendly,” Witek said. 

JR’s All-Star Haircuts For Men offers discounts to CMU students, children, seniors, police officers, fire fighters and military.

Caylie Larson, the salon’s manager, said business has been steadily increasing since its opening. The privately-owned company also has locations in Bay City and Saginaw.

Keeping up with the latest men’s styles is an ongoing process for the staff at JR’s. Andis and Wahl, professional barber and stylist supply companies, provide training on the latest equipment, techniques and styles. The staff also takes trips to attend hair and beauty conventions as a way of providing their customers with the newest looks.