COLUMN: Senior Day was special

2_gymnastics
Senior Preslee Harrald performs her routine on the balance beam during the gymnastics meet against Bowling Green in McGuirk Arena, Feb. 22.

Senior day for the Central Michigan University gymnasts who have won the Mid-American Conference Championship each year they have been in Mount Pleasant, was emotional.

Being side-by-side with the champions for every year has taught me what it takes for these gymnasts to be a champion. Coach Jerry Reighard knows what being a champion means. He has 12 conference titles in 31 years with the program.

Three 2015 seniors have been searching the coveted perfect 10. Halle Moraw on floor, Kylie Fagan on bars and Taylor Noonan on beam.

Noonan suffered a knee injury earlier in the season and was unable to compete for most of the year.

Noonan has taken the role of a vocal leader, still able to get the crowd on their feet without competing. The Colorado native is always the loudest and most enthusiastic person in the arena.

During their final introduction at McGuirk Arena, the six seniors have a look of anticipation. The pressure stings.

“I think there was some emotion there knowing it’s the last time they’re announcing us,” Moraw said. “You sit there during it thinking don't cry don't cry.”

Parents present, friends cheering them on, these six Chippewas left the arena they made their name in with a huge victory against Bowling Green State University Sunday.

After every stuck landing and great routine, the crowd chanted C-M-U. After Fagan’s bar routine and Moraw’s floor exercise, the crowd went into a frenzy.

The fans and parents got exactly what they came for: A senior day showcase by the CMU gymnasts.

BGSU was probably the most feared team in the MAC heading into Sunday's match, four straight meets with a score over 195. 

Senior day this season was different than last year's with such a decorated senior class, “The Super Six”. The CMU careers of these gymnasts on and off the mats has been incredible and on Sunday it was no different.

The seniors, who have been talked to before every routine in their careers lit up with emotion. The influence the coaches have on the gymnasts is powerful.

The Super Six have broken many individual and team records in their time at CMU.

With three meets left and the MAC Championship, the Super Six and the Chippewas are sure to break even more.