Extra points: Tumpkin leaves CMU, men's basketball tickets selling fast

Chippewas defensive coordinator leaves for Colorado

The day after Central Michigan University Defensive Coordinator Joe Tumpkin resigned on National Signing Day, the University of Colorado announced he would become one of their defensive backs coaches.

The Chippewas had the top-ranked defense in the Mid-American Conference in 2014 with 355.5 yards allowed per game.

Tumpkin had been CMU’s defensive coordinator since 2010, which was also former Head Coach Dan Enos’ first season. Enos resigned from CMU on Jan. 22.

Tumpkin coached former safety Jahleel Addae, who now plays for the San Diego Chargers. He also coached two first-team All-MAC players this year in linebacker Justin Cherocci and defensive lineman and potential NFL draft selection Leterrius Walton.

Tumpkin has been coaching football since 1994 on college and pro teams including Northern Michigan University, Western Michigan University, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and the University of Pittsburgh.

Former CMU head coach hired as Tennessee defensive coordinator

Butch Jones was the offensive coordinator under Head Coach Mike DeBord at Central Michigan University from 2002-2003.

The situation has flipped 12 years later. DeBord was hired as the defensive coordinator Thursday at the University of Tennessee under Jones.

DeBord was 12-34 as CMU’s head coach and Jones was 27-13 as CMU’s coach from 2007-2009.

Fewer than 200 tickets remain for Saturday’s men’s basketball game against Western Michigan

Tickets for Saturday’s 2 p.m. matchup between CMU and WMU men’s basketball are nearly sold out.

As of Thursday, less than 200 reserved tickets remained. According to CMU Athletics, the remaining general admission seats are being reserved for students and those with “When the Chips win, you win” vouchers.

CMU offered free tickets to Saturday’s game during the “When the chips win, you win,” campaign. After CMU beat Miami (Ohio)105-77 in the first home Mid-American Conference game of the season, all fans still in attendance at the end of the game were given a voucher for the WMU game.

There were 2,724 fans in attendance at the Jan. 14 game.

Fans with the voucher are encouraged to redeem it as soon as possible. If capacity is reached before fans redeem the voucher, it can be used at any of the remaining home games.