Baseball opens season, softball struggles at San Diego tournament

The CMU baseball team had a little bit of everything working at Florida Gulf Coast University this weekend for the opening games of the 2015 season.

“We did a lot of good things,” said Head Coach Steve Jaksa. “The number one thing coming into the season was we wanted to play solid defense. I thought for the most part we accomplished that this weekend. I didn't see much of a letdown.”

Friday, the Chippewas opened up their season with a 2-0 win.

Sophomore pitcher Nick Deeg got the win for CMU. He went six innings allowing three hits to go along with three strikeouts.

“Our pitching was good,” said Jaksa. “I would say top to bottom everyone that pitched did a really nice job. Some guys who came in were first year guys and did a really nice job. I was very pleased overall with our pitching this weekend.”

CMU's only runs came in the fifth inning. Sophomore Alex Borglin and freshman Zach McKinstry both singled to start the inning. Junior Logan Regnier tripled down the right field line driving in two runs.

Saturday, the Chippewas split the doubleheader losing 6-4 in game one and winning game two 7-6.

Junior Sean Renzi took the loss for CMU. He went four and a third nnings while giving up two hits to go along with three strikeouts.

Seniors Pat Mackenzie and Tyler Huntey each had two hits. Freshman Daniel Jipping finished with one hit and two RBI.

“Hitting was fine and it’s going to get better,” said Jaksa. “We thought early on in the weekend we didn't quite have the approach that we wanted to have in certain situations but that got better over the weekend.

Sunday, CMU won 5-2 to close out the weekend series.

The Chippewas went into the ninth inning holding a 3-2 lead but tacked on two more runs in the final inning.

Freshman Pat Leatherman got the win on the mound for CMU. He went six innings allowing one earned run on three hits with four strikeouts.

Logan Regnier and McKinstry led CMU with two hits and one RBI each.

Junior Morgan Oliver homered to left field in the fourth inning.

Softball

CMU softball won two of the five games in the San Diego State Tournament with both victories coming against Seton Hall.

The softball team lost it’s first two games Friday, 13-2 against Oregon State and 13-4 to North Dakota State.

Freshman Maison Kalina and sophomore Danielle Marlink each finished with one hit for CMU against Oregon State.

Freshman Hanna Warren took the loss for CMU against the Beavers. She went 2.2 innings in giving up six earned runs on seven hits.

Against North Dakota the Chippewas finished with three hits.

Seniors CarolAnn Sexauer and Kristen Kuhlman along with junior Katelyn Rentschler each had one hit.

Sophomore Rachael Knapp took the loss for CMU. She went 3.1 innings giving up seven earned runs on nine hits.

CMU picked up their first win of the season on Saturday against Seton Hall 1-0.

Marlink had the game-winning RBI for CMU in the fourth inning on a single to right center scoring junior Kelly Barnes.

Junior Chelsea DeLamielleure and Sexauer finished with two hits.

Knapp got the win for CMU going seven innings while giving up two hits to go along with five strikeouts.

In the second game on Saturday the Chippewas lost to San Diego State 9-5.

Freshman Taylor Weaver took the loss for CMU. She went 3.1 innings allowing three earned runs on eight hits.

Senior Trista Cox led the Chippewas with two hits and one RBI.

In its final game on Sunday CMU defeated Seton Hall 7-5.

Sexauer had three hits and one RBI while Cox finished with one hit and two RBIs. DeLamielleure tied for the team lead in RBI with two to go along with her one hit.