Tastes that kill

Killer Hibachi moves from food truck to restaurant

main_hib
Morgan Taylor | Staff Photographer Killer Hibachi is a new restaurant in Mount Pleasant located on Collegiate Way that serves Japanese style food. Killer Hibachi is known for their food truck that typically sat on mission street and are bringing in new costumers with their new storefront.

One year, a food truck fire and a growing following of customers later, Killer Hibachi is open for business.

Co-owner Kyle Stahl and his business partner Joe Collin said the restaurant is doing much better than expected.

Stahl and Collin started Killer Hibachi in early 2014 after discussing expansion beyond their already existing food cart service, the Wiener Wagon.

Originally in a trailer converted into a food truck, Killer Hibachi debuted in Mount Pleasant in September. Stahl said the restaurant became a viable concept after the Killer Hibachi truck became so busy, that other options had to be considered to meet increasing customer demands.

"Everyone has been incredibly supportive of this," Stahl said. "We wouldn't be here if it wasn't for such great followers that have gone from knowing us with the hot dog cart to moving into the food truck with Killer Hibachi."

In December, 13 weeks after the hibachi food truck was unveiled, the duo opened Killer Hibachi restaurant in the former site of "Barb-B-Cutie" at 4520 Collegiate Way.

"The food is all quality, all fresh and is a healthy option. You have a ton of pizza places, you have a ton of sub-trops, but you don't have many good, non-chain restaurants," Stahl said.

Sacramento junior Casey Crick, said the restaurant reminds her of Asian restaurants she frequented in California.

"This was definitely the best food experience I've had in Mount Pleasant," Crick said. "It's a little expensive, but the portions are decent and the food has great flavor."

Food trucking for life

Stahl and Collin have operated food trucks in the Mount Pleasant area since 2011, when they started selling hot dogs downtown out of the Wiener Wagon.

"We started around Welcome [Weekend] and went until it was too cold to go out," Collin said. "Every Friday, Saturday and Sunday we'd go out from 10 p.m. to 2 a.m., selling hotdogs to drunk college kids."

Collin recalls the opening of the first food truck as one of the most challenging and exciting experiences.

"It taught us that if you have an idea, just do it," he said.

For the next three years, Collin and Stahl built up their brand and began formulating plans for Killer Hibachi.

When the trailer burned down in 2014, plans for a second truck were almost laid to rest. 

"I was getting it ready one day, got the grill prepped, cooked some stuff, left, came back a half an hour later and the fire department was there putting out a trailer fire," Collin said.

Despite having the ashes of their first trailer behind them, the duo decided to continue with their plans for a Hibachi truck, and renovated an old trailer to house the Hibachi grill.

By fall of 2014, Killer Hibachi food trailer was fully operational.

Looking forward

The new restaurant, the duo said, is in no way the end of their entrepreneurial ambitions.

"We want to put a good steadfast presence here and then branch out," Stahl said. "Then we can have ‘the original’ (Killer) Hibachi here in Mount Pleasant, and that would be very cool for the town."

Collin said there are also plans to continue expanding the menu, offering new food options as time goes on.

Both co-owners said the Killer Hibachi truck may no longer provide regular services during the warmer seasons, but the truck may be used for special events.

Collin said this means more attention will be paid to other projects, including the possibility of additional food trucks being added to their growing collection of brands.

"This is all an adventure to us, one big adventure," he said. 

For menu and location information, visit killerhibachi.com.