Wrestling steps up intensity in preparation for match with Eastern Michigan

wrestling3
Delaware freshman Brent Fleetwood takes down his opponent during the Chippewas match against Old Dominion on Feb. 15 in McGuirk Arena.

After suffering its second Mid-American Conference loss against Old Dominion University last weekend, Central Michigan University head coach Tom Borrelli has intensified the team’s practices.

The Chippewas will attempt to rebound from their 22-9 loss against ODU as they travel to Eastern Michigan University at 7 p.m. on Friday for the Chippewas’ last MAC match of the season.

CMU wrestlers were drenched in sweat by the time Monday’s practice ended. Borrelli, who was publically irate following the Chippewas loss at home on Sunday, was pushing his team to a “new level.”

"Our team needs to be tougher," Borrelli said. "We talked about urgency."

In CMU and EMU’s last meeting, the Eagles narrowly defeated the Chippewas 18-16. The Eagles finished 3-4 in the MAC last season.

The Eagles have struggled again in 2014-15, claiming only one conference win so far this season. However, EMU’s lone MAC win this year came against the University at Buffalo on Sunday.

The Eagles’ roster is more experienced than CMU’s. With 14 upper classmen, the Chippewas in-state rivals are familiar with Borrelli’s strategy.

This is EMU Head Coach David Bolyard’s first year in Ypsilanti.

"They're kind of like us,” Borrelli said. “We're trying to build our program back up and they're trying to do the same.”

EMU’s Vincent Pizzuto is ranked No.1 in the MAC in the 133-pound weight class.

Another top Eagle performer, junior Michael Shaw is ranked 4th in the MAC in the 141-pound class. Shaw will face off with CMU junior Zach Horan, who ranked is No. 1 in his weight class.